Writing Contest Awards by Year
Several awards are given to members each year.
Click links to find lists of previous winners.
* The J. S. Russell Award is given in memory of the organization’s founder and is presented to a member who has given outstanding service to NAAJ.
* The Glenn Cunningham Agricultural Journalist of the Year Award honors the best overall writer of the year and remembers Cunningham who served as Executive Secretary-Treasurer for many years.
* The Bill Zipf President’s Award thanks each NAAJ president for a year of hard work and honors Zipf who served as president in 1972.
* The Audrey Mackiewicz Special Award honors the association’s first woman president and long-time Executive Secretary-Treasurer and is given to publications who have expanded their coverage of agriculture. Apply at http://www.betternewspapercontest.com/2016MackiewiczAward
* The Ward Sinclair Student Award honors the memory of Sinclair who covered agriculture for the Washington Post. It is given to the student who wins the writing competition.
* The Bruce Ingersoll Mentorship Award honors the memory of Ingersoll who covered agriculture for the Wall Street Journal in the Washington, D.C. office. It is a $250 travel scholarship given to enable a member to attended the annual spring meeting in Washington, D.C. for the first time. First preference is given to contest award winners.